This is really painful when twitch keeps buffering or lagging and so I will explain why does twitch keep freezing every second and how to fix it.
The solutions will be for all PC and Mobile devices.
By the end of this article, you will be able to get rid of Twitch freezing, buffering, and lagging problems.
- 1 Why does Twitch keep Freezing and Buffering?
- 1.1 How to Fix Twitch keeps freezing on PC
- 1.1.1 #1 Check Internet Connection
- 1.1.2 #2 Close Background Running Apps
- 1.1.3 #3 Optimize your Windows Device
- 1.1.4 #4 Run Antiviruses and Malware Program
- 1.1.5 # 5 Disable Anti Virus temporarily
- 1.1.6 #6 Disable / Enable VPN
- 1.1.7 #7 Change DNS settings
- 1.1.8 #8 Browser Settings
- 1.1.10 #9 Disable Hardware Acceleration (Why does Twitch keep Freezing )
- 1.2 How to Fix Twitch stream keeps buffering on Mobile
- 1.3 Share this:
- 1.4 Like this:
- 1.1 How to Fix Twitch keeps freezing on PC
Why does Twitch keep Freezing and Buffering?
Though there can be many reasons behind twitch buffering or freezing issues there are 5 major causes.
If you are a streamer then it’s always better to do a twitch test stream before going live.
This will at least let u know if the stream is working smoothly and properly or not.
Twitch stream buffering issues occur on both mobile and PC.
Poor or fluctuating Internet Connection – Poor or fluctuating internet connection is one of the major causes of buffering in twitch.
Twitch stream works with the Internet and if the internet is very slow or giving high ping, your stream will buffer and stuck.
Cache – Device & App cache and saved data can also create such buffering and freezing issues on twitch.
You might have seen people always recommend clearing the cache and try again.
Issues from Twitch – Twitch freezing and buffering issues can also be because of twitch.
Probably twitch is experiencing some technical problems due to which your twitch stream is buffering and freezing.
Checks twitch outage from their Twitter support account.
Problem with the device – If you have an old device or low configuration device you will have freezing issues on twitch.
Even if you have good hardware but running multiple apps in the background, you may have problems as your memory and CPU usage will be fully utilized.
Update – An outdated device or application can also be one of the reasons for lag issues in twitch.
Probably there are some corrupted drivers that are creating the problem.
How to Fix Twitch keeps freezing on PC
Now, let me share the best 10 solutions to fix twitch keep freezing and buffering issues.
But before starting I would recommend you restart your PC and check if this resolves the issue.
If not start these below troubleshooting steps
#1 Check Internet Connection
If the twitch stream keeps buffering or pausing, a slow internet connection can be the biggest cause for this.
If the internet is slow or fluctuating any stream would buffer and lag.
- Test Internet Speed – The first thing you need to do is to test your internet connection. Visit the speed test website and check your internet speed and ping as well.
- Restart Modem and Router – If the speed is slow or ping is high, try restarting your internet router and modem. Try removing the internet cable from the modem and unplug the power cable. Leave it for 1 minute and then plug everything back in.
- Try using LAN instead of Wi-Fi – Wired connections are more stable and fast than Wi-Fi. If possible connect your PC with LAN using the cable. If you are connected with a hotspot you may have twitch buffering issues.
- Complain to ISP – If still, you have trouble you need to connect to your internet service provider. Do not ask them why does twitch keep freezing, simply say that your internet is slow and everything is buffering and take a long time to load.
#2 Close Background Running Apps
Multiple apps running at the same can be another major cause and answer for the people asking why does twitch keep freezing?
Running too many apps at the same time will occupy your whole CPU and Memory usage.
As result, this will start freezing not only twitch but your entire PC.
- On Windows open task manager by pressing Ctrl +Shift + Esc key.
- Now under the Apps and Permission tab close all those apps and programs that are not currently in use.
- Make a right-click on every app and program and choose End task.
On Mac, you can click on the apple icon and choose Quit app.
Even close the twitch application, once done restart twitch again and check if this fixes twitch freezing issues or not.
#3 Optimize your Windows Device
If your device is not optimized or has low hardware configuration you will also have freezing and buffering issues.
Here we will clear all unwanted data from the device and manage start-up programs
- Press Windows + R to open the RUN box, type temp, and click on ok. Temp folder will now be up, press Ctrl + A key to select all and press Shift + del to delete all these temp files.
- Open the RUN box again, type %temp%, and click ok. Another temp folder will be up, press the Ctrl + A key to select all the files and then press the Shift + Del key to delete all these files.
- Open RUN box and type appwiz.cpl and then click Ok to open Programs and features box. All the installed apps and programs will be listed here make a right-click on every program that you don’t need and choose to uninstall.
- Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc key and then click on the start-up tab.
Now disable all programs that you don’t need to start along with the Windows as this really slow down the speed.
- Type CMD in the windows search and choose Run as administrator. On the black box of CMD type SFC /SCANNOW and hit enter.
This will start system check, wait until it’s done.
Though this can be the length process, you can also apply this fix with the last solution.
#4 Run Antiviruses and Malware Program
Any virus or malware can really ruin your device that results in a lot of freezing and lag problems.
If I am not wrong then probably there can be some viruses or malware on your device that need to be clear.
Run Virus Scan (FREE)
- Run a quick scan from your Antivirus program and clean all the infections.
- For explanation, I am taking Windows defender which you can open from the very right-hand bottom under the system tray drop-down.
- If you don’t find it, then type Windows Security in the search box and hit enter.
- Click on Virus & Threat protection and then click on Quick Scan.
Run Malware Scan (FREE)
- Though Anti Virus also scans for malware you can also run Antimalware programs like Malware byte.
- Download Malware byte free version from Malware byte site and installed it.
- Once installed run the scan and delete all the infections.
Run Hitman Pro (FREE)
- Install Hitman pro from their official site and install it on your PC.
- Now choose a free version by entering your email.
- Run the scan and delete all the detected threats and infections.
After the Scan, you can also uninstall this installed software.
# 5 Disable Anti Virus temporarily
This is another common problem with an Anti-virus program where sometimes it blocks some applications and programs files.
Chances are any of the Twitch files are been blocked by your antivirus program and so it can result in twitch stream freezing issues.
You can either add an exclusion of Twitch to Windows defender or any Antivirus program that you are using.
Or simply try disabling Anti Virus protection for a while to check if this is the reason why does twitch keeps freezing.
- Type Windows Security in the Windows search box and click on Windows security to open.
- Look for the Virus & Threat protection and disable them.
Once done restart the PC and check if this fixed the problem, if yes then you can add an exclusion for twitch and enable the Antivirus again.
#6 Disable / Enable VPN
I have seen on my channel where many people answered the query that why does twitch keep freezing with the solution related to VPN.
Most of them suggested disabling or enabling the VPN.
Let me brief why
You must try enabling VPN when the server is overcrowded and so selecting VPN location to some other location may fix this buffering and lagging issues on Twitch.
I would suggest you use NordVPN, which is top-rated and give you the best result.
But if the VPN is slowing down the internet speed you must also try disabling it.
#7 Change DNS settings
As discussed in the reasons that Internet settings or connections are the major cause behind twitch keeps buffering issues.
The problem can be with the existing DNS settings, so we will flush the DNS settings and also try changing the DNS server to a Google DNS server.
- Type CMD in the Windows search box and choose Run as Administrator. Click on Yes, if prompted for permission.
- IN the black windows of the command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns and then hit the enter key.
DNS settings will now be flushed and now let’s change the DNS server.
Change DNS to Google DNS
- Press Windows + R key to open RUN box, type NCPA.CPL and then click on OK.
- Network Connection box will now be up, now right-click on your network adaptor and choose properties (Use Wi-Fi or LAN depending on which connection you are using)
- Wi-fi / LAN properties will now be up. Double click on “Internet protocol version 4(TCP/Ipv4)”
- This will bring up the Internet Protocol version 4 properties
- Click on Use the following DNS server addresses and fill in the below information
Preferred DNS Server 22.214.171.124
Alternate DNS server 126.96.36.199
Once done, click on apply and ok to save the settings.
You can also restart your PC and check back again if this resolved the issues.
#8 Browser Settings
Now many people also ask that why does twitch keep freezing on the browser and not in the app.
Browser settings can also cause buffering and lagging issues as well.
Clear Browsing Data (Clearing Cache & Cookies)
I am taking Google Chrome for the explanation; you better do it on the browser from which you access Twitch.
- Launch your Google Chrome browser and click on the 3 dot icon located at the very right-hand top.
- From the suggestions, choose Settings
- Now from the left-hand menu options click on Privacy & Security and then click on Clear browsing data.
- Click on Advanced > Set time range to All > Leave the option of Passwords and Autofill form data unchecked.
- Now click on Clear data and wait until it’s done.
Disable unwanted and unused Extensions
- On Google Chrome, click on the 3 dots located at the very right-hand top.
- From the suggestions, hover up to More tools and choose Extensions.
- The extension page will now be up, look for all the extensions that you don’t use and click on Remove.
- Also, disable Ad blocker extensions
You can also try disabling the remaining extension to assure the problem.
- Click on 3 dots again and choose settings from the suggestions.
- From the settings page, scroll down to the very bottom and click on Advanced.
- Now scroll down again until you find Reset and Clean up
- Click on Restore settings to their original defaults and then click on Reset Settings.
#9 Disable Hardware Acceleration (Why does Twitch keep Freezing )
Hardware acceleration on chrome is to accelerate your device hardware for performance but in most cases, it’s not found a good choice.
Enabling hardware acceleration can cause chrome browser to lag and freezing issues.
It’s better to keep it disabled, follow the steps
- Launch Google Chrome and then click on the 3 dots at the very right-hand top.
- From the suggestions click on Settings
- In the settings windows, scroll down and click on Advanced.
- Again scroll down to System and here make sure the toggle switch of “Use hardware acceleration when available” is disabled.
Once done Relaunch the browser and check if this fixes the problem.
#10 Clock Windows Processor & Upgrade your Device Hardware
There is nothing you can do if you have the old and low configuration hardware, only then upgrading them.
Try upgrading your HDD to SSD and also upgrade your RAM.
Virtually, you can increase the number of processors, so that all of them should be at work.
- Press Windows + R key to open RUN box, type msconfig, and click on ok.
- The System configuration box will now be up, click on the boot tab.
- Now click on Advanced options and check the box of Number of Processors.
- Click on the drop-down and choose 3.
Click on ok and restart the PC to save the settings.
How to Fix Twitch stream keeps buffering on Mobile
I have seen people also having issues of buffering and freezing while watching twitch streams on their mobile.
Here is a few possible troubleshooting you can try to improve the performance.
#1 Clear Cache and Uninstall unwanted Apps
Here you need to clear the device and twitch app cache. Also, uninstall those entire apps that you don’t use or rarely use.
- Open Settings on your phone and then go to the storage to clear the cache and all possible junk data.
- Now in the settings look for Apps and tap on it. Scroll down to look for Twitch App and tap on it.
- Now in the twitch app, tap on Storage and then tap on Clear Cache and if possible also on Clear data.
Also, uninstall all those applications that you don’t use.
#2 Force stop Twitch app
This is another best method to fix Twitch keeps buffering and freezing issues on the mobile app.
- Open Settings on your phone, look for apps and then tap on them.
- In the apps, look for Twitch and tap on it to open.
- Now on the very right-hand bottom, you will find Force stop. Tap on it and then again tap on Ok.
Open your Twitch again and check if this fixed the problem or not, if not proceed to the next solution
#3 Check App permission
Twitch freezing issues can also be on mobile if the permissions of the twitch app are denied.
This can be accidentally or after any update.
- Open your phone settings and then tap on Apps.
- Now tap on Permissions and give permission to all twitch features that are denied.
Once done restart the twitch application.
#4 Close all other apps
As PC too many applications opened on mobile also occupies the whole memory and CPU space.
Close all unwanted apps running in the background that are not currently in use.
Do this every time when you enjoy the stream on twitch.
#5 Update or Reinstall Twitch
An outdated app can create trouble and issues while using app.
Check for any update available for twitch, you can check from the Play Store or App store.
If none of the solutions work, try reinstalling the twitch application.
Tap and hold on to the twitch app, choose Uninstall.
Once uninstalled, download it again from the phone store.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does my Twitch stream keep pausing?
If this is happening on the browser then try opening twitch stream in Incognito mode.
If the stream works fine without any pausing issues, then follow the above browser settings solutions no #8.
This can be because of some browser settings like Adblocker or Cache.
The Twitch stream freezes but the audio is fine?
You better try all the solutions above and as add on also try
- Open stream of any other streamer and see if the same problem occurs there or not.
- Also, try using a different browser as this mostly happens on Chrome and Opera
Freezing and buffering issues while enjoying any stream are very frustrating.
Fortunately, we found some best solution to fix these problems and I am sure you understood that why does twitch stream keep freezing.
I tried to cover all the solutions as I know any method can help you to fix the problem
Let us know which method worked for you and if you still having the issues then brief the exact issue in the comment box.
Dear Readers my name is Shahbaz
I am a blogger and a gamer. I have around 8 years of experience working as a Tech Geek.
So I know how technical things work and I am very much active on Discord, Twitch, and in Gaming. I help people on Twitch and Discord by solving their problems related to twitch streaming and twitch tutorials.
Feel free to connect me on my Social accounts or contact me through the contact form.